Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Creating a Christ Centered Home

This Sunday our lesson came from the Relief Society manual on Joseph Fielding Smith, chapter 4. 

We had a great discussion about families. Ironically enough, I had been contemplating this subject the week before. I was somewhat worn down, thinking of all the trials my children will have to face in the continually degrading world. I was weighed down with the realization that the constant pressure to accept immoral practices as if they were moral has overcome much of the population.  "How am I going to help my children remember true happiness comes through God's way?" These words repeatedly ran through my head. 

I'd gone to visit my family in my safe and comfortable home where I'd grown up. My mom and sister wanted to go to the store, so I tagged along. We were driving and having a simple conversation, when the topic that had been weighing on my mind was brought up. I asked my mom if the change I was noticing in our little mostly-LDS hometown was because I was older and more aware or because I was no longer in the safe high school bubble living at home? She simply responded, "Yes." I sat quiet for a moment. Then, my mom said something that re-shaped my perspective, "You didn't notice as much before because you were living at home. ***You create the environment your children will know.***" Wow! Truth? Yes! Something I'd always known, but for some reason, it hit me in that moment. I realized to a deeper extent than ever before, that I have the ability, along side my Heavenly Father, the Savior, and my willing husband, to create an environment that welcomes the Spirit. My influence, as a woman, is strong here. Stronger than any negative outside force. With God on my side, the house becomes a home. A home for my children. A home where The Spirit can teach and be heard. I have the ability to form this environment as a woman. I have been given this sacred stewardship to raise children in righteousness, in a righteous home (when the time will come). How can women not find this empowering? I am so incredibly grateful for the chance I have to build the most important unit of any perspective- the family. After my mom made this life changing comment, my wise little sister, a first-time mother of just 2 months, reminded me, "The future is as bright as your faith! Remember that quote by Pres. Monson?" Yes. Have faith, sisters! The future of your family and your own children is as bright as the faith and experiences you try your best to provide in the walls of your own home. A wonderful thing to remember, as well, is these precious children are God's children, too. He is watching out for them in all the ways we feel we can't. I find that comforting, maybe you will, too. But, in our weakness we can find strength (Ether 12:27). Trust in Him, follow the Spirit. You're a daughter of God. You were meant to do this!
In our efforts to create a Christ centered home it is of utmost importance to remember the balance that is had in supporting and sustaining your husband. And vice versa. We have different roles to fulfill. Marriage is a partnership. Not one above the other, and not one below the other. The best way to progress is to build, rather than tear down. This is true of any situation. It is important, then, to support and sustain our husbands. I loved the definition our teacher gave of "sustaining", I'm going to paraphrase: "Sustaining: To do your best part to help a person fulfill their role." We would benfit to not be afraid to sustain our husbands. We sustain the prophet. He is God's mouthpiece. And our husbands are our family's patriarch's, just as someone needs to be the matriarch. I like to think of a business. In a well run business everyone has a role to fulfill. People are put into positions that best suit their abilties and natural skills. When everyone fills their role to their best ability, the business runs smoothly and the workers are satisfied. There are times where some people have to fill bits and pieces of the roles of others for a period to keep the business afloat, because a worker may be sick, or not present. If the fill-in worker were to do this for a long time, while also attempting to fulfil their main role, they would become tired, weak, and even depressed. Then, both the roles in the company would suffer. Unfortunately, this can happen to a worker no matter how noble their efforts may be. But, when the ill or missing worker returns, and they fulfill their role, the business is back at its peak. The business can then move forward and upward.  

So, like last week for me, days of doubt may come. But "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith!" -Pres. Uchtdorf. With faith in God's eternal and unchanging truths, the future of your family will be as bright as your faith! 

I know Heavenly Father hears our prayers. Don't hesitate to go to Him! He loves you. Yes, I know this. Jesus Christ is our Savior. His love is infinite, as is His atonement. He lives. His atonement is a real power. We need it daily to strengthen us. I know families can be together forever. I'm so thankful for this. I bear a humble witness by the Holy Ghost that these things are true. If you aren't sure, pray, and keep praying. You will know someday. That's a promise of experience. Love you sisters! 
Elise Gardner 
P.S.
Remember to pray for the missionaries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment